The main objective of the Burdencov study is to investigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, compared to seasonal influenza and community-acquired pneumonia, on the psychological well-being of ICU patients and their family members, taking anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) into account.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is an infectious disease that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The highly contagious infection requires restrictive and stressful measures for patients, their family members and ICU caregivers, adding further anxiety and misunderstanding to an already scary and war-like atmosphere.
- Kentish-Barnes N, Azoulay E. The voice of frontline healthcare workers facing the COVID-19 surge. J Crit Care. 2021 Aug;64:36. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2021.03.007. Epub 2021 Mar 23. PMID: 33784576; PMCID: PMC7985680.
- Kentish-Barnes N, Degos P, Viau C et al. « It was a nightmare until I saw my wife »: the importance of family presence for patients with COVID-19 hospitalized in the ICU. Intensive Care Med. 2021 Jul;47(7):792-794. doi: 10.1007/s00134-021-06411-4. Epub 2021 May 11. PMID: 33977347; PMCID: PMC8112738.
- Kentish-Barnes N, Cohen-Solal Z, Morin L et al. Lived Experiences of Family Members of Patients With Severe COVID-19 Who Died in Intensive Care Units in France. JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Jun 1;4(6):e2113355. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.13355. PMID: 34152418; PMCID: PMC8218069.
- Azoulay E, Cariou A, Bruneel F, et al. Symptoms of Anxiety, Depression, and Peritraumatic Dissociation in Critical Care Clinicians Managing Patients with COVID-19. A Cross-Sectional Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2020 Nov 15;202(10):1388-1398. doi: 10.1164/rccm.202006-2568OC. PMID: 32866409; PMCID: PMC7667906.
- Kentish-Barnes N, Morin L, Cohen-Solal Z, et al. The Lived Experience of ICU Clinicians During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Outbreak: A Qualitative Study. Crit Care Med. 2021 Feb 12. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000004939. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33591018.
- Azoulay É, Curtis JR, Kentish-Barnes N. Ten reasons for focusing on the care we provide for family members of critically ill patients with COVID-19. Intensive Care Med. 2021 Feb;47(2):230-233. doi: 10.1007/s00134-020-06319-5. Epub 2020 Nov 24. PMID: 33231733; PMCID: PMC7685190.
- Le Dorze M, Kentish-Barnes N, Beloucif S, et al. A Letter to Denise. Intensive Care Med. 2021 Feb 2:1–2. doi: 10.1007/s00134-020-06343-5. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33528596; PMCID: PMC7851321.